Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Diary Entry - To Kill A Mockingbird

Below is a diary entry by Atticus, for the Intrapersonal task, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Diary,

I went to the Court in the County to defend a Negro, Tom Robinson. The trial ended with Robinson convicted of rape, as what I was afraid and dreaded as the outcome. Is the severity of this case so great, it has to be brought to court? Is the social division so immense, I would have fought for Robinson in vain? Was I fighting a losing battle? Had Robinson been convicted even before the trial, because of he is a Negro?

Though Tom Robinson was forced to accept the guilt, my pities are with Mayella Ewell, but I do not condone the fact that her 'innocence' should be at the expense of a human being's life and future. Mayella felt the guilt caused by breaking a rigid code of our society - tempting a black man. I had shown the jury, Judge Taylor, and the citizens that Mayella had been hit by a person's left hand, and that Tom Robinson's left hand was so badly withered, I don't think he could even lift a pencil. The entire case was fueled by the viewpoints of everyone, but is there any concrete medical evidence that Tom Robinson had raped Mayella Ewell? Is there any justifiable proof?

Tom Robinson is a Negro, but does it mean that all Negroes are all suspicious and untrustworthy beings? It is just the discrimination in this sad racist society. When will the equilibrium between the Blacks and Whites exist?

Signing out,
Atticus Finch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home